Executive Coaching for Improved CEO/Board Relationships
The relationship between the CEO and the Board of Directors is a crucial one and how well it works has an enormous influence on the success of the company or organisation. Coaching for when the CEO/Board relationship is troubled or in conflict can save a rift from deepening and potentially substantial legal costs.
The CEO Chairman Relationship
Ideally the CEO and Chair would enjoy a relationship that is sincere, authentic, empathetic and encouraging. However:
- Is your Chair challenging yet supportive – or do you grit your teeth when you meet?
- Does your CEO exceed your expectations or has s/he become the problem you can’t avoid?
- Do you enjoy a collaborative relationship, where you understand and appreciate each other’s perspectives or have you taken up opposing positions?
- Do you recognize that you have separate and distinguishable roles but must negotiate and work well together in order to achieve organisational goals…or are you both scoring points off each other?
Regretfully, the ideal scenario appears to be the exception rather than the rule.
When the CEO Board Relationship Doesn’t Work
Both the CEO and the Chairman are leaders and both will understandably have a sense of stewardship and entitlement towards the company or organization. This binds you into an unenviable paradox when:
- roles, parameters and boundaries are not discussed and made clear at the outset
- rapport and communication are poor
- personalities clash
- you aren’t strategically aligned with each other
In these instances relationship can become very problematic. As time passes, trust fades and neither party feels particularly safe. The pressure rises and the belief can grow that one of you has to go.
How Coaching for the CEO Chairman/Board Relationship Can Help
I work with the CEO or the Chairman with an integrated approach of coaching and psychotherapy designed to support you through a particularly tricky time to unpick knotty issues, gain clarity and perspective and form strategies for moving forward with a healthier relationship. Or it could be to help you to plan your exit strategy and leave as amicably as possible to limit any damage to the company/organisation and to your own professional reputation. First class companies are made from first class relationships. If you are the CEO or the Chair of a company or organisation experiencing difficulties, coaching for improved CEO/ Board Relationships can help. Please note that I do not offer a mediation service or legal advice.